
Today I want to write something about the new album of Goldfrapp “Head First” which came out today. It is a very 80’s inspired album from this great electro-pop band. You [especially all you gay boys that love to dance to the sounds of Kylie Minogue, old-Madonna and Depeche Mode) really should get a copy of this, because it is worth it. [As if we weren’t expecting this...]
1- Rocket (7/10)
This is a very catchy 80s-inspired synthi-pop track, which will get people to dance at every gay party you attend. When I heard this song for the first time, I thought it was nothing special, but after watching the video [and getting more attracted to 80’s music (which I am at the moment)] it totally got me. The production is really good and the vocals of Alison are good too [not her best though].
2 – Believer (6/10)
Sending away someone inside of a rocket in the previous song, in this Alison sings about someone that “come[s] back to me”. Catchy, not as much as Rocket, but still a danceable track. Goldfrapp go on with their 80’s dance influences on “Believer”, which is a nice follow-up song to Rocket. Nothing special, but nice.
3 – Alive (7/10)
Lyrically my favorite one to this point. A nice song about love and about feeling alive in a relationship. The song totally represents the feeling and you can tell that Alison is feeling what she is singing about.
4 – Dreaming (8/10)
“Dreaming” is the first “slow-song” on the album. The beginning reminds me a lot of Depeche Mode. I really can imagine Dave singing along to the melodies. The lyrics are very good and pull us back into some earlier writing of Alison. As I love Alisons’ voice when she sings in head voice, this song is like a gift to me, because she does some very nice high notes. Very beautiful song [with some guitar-esque sounds in it (for the ones that already had enough of the 80’s synths (which doesn’t mean, that this song is less 80’s))].
5 – Head First (6/10)
This track is musically very nice and show how Goldfrapp are flexible with sounds. As being the title track of the album, it shows us that they are doing something that never happened on the other records before. Lyrically this track is very good. Again... talking about love. But we don’t mind, since it’s caught inside of a very nice and dreamy Abba-esque melody. Nice.
6 – Hunt (9/10)
Promising title. Confirmed hopes. This track takes us back to all the songs that made Goldfrapp one of the greatest bands out of their genre. Lyrically it is amazing and reminds me of their first album “Felt Mountain”. Not a disco-track, more loungy, but still this is one of the best songs of the album. Worth a listen. Or two. Or thousand.
7 – Shiny And Warm (7/10)
This song could have been on “Black Cherry”. But I think it’s making a very good job on “Head First”, too. A very danceable track after the slow “Hunt” with a nice up-tempo synthi beat and some moan-like vocals from Alison. Some parts remind me of Depeche Mode again. Nevertheless one of the best songs out of this album [IMHO]. One thing that is missing in this song is a good ending. For me it ends too abruptly.
8 – I Wanna Life (7/10)
Lyrically responding to GaGas’ “Just Dance”? If yes, good job! This track is very 80’s again and is bringing the gays back to the dancefloor for its catchy chorus, which will gets you immediately to sing. IMHO the best part of this song is the ending, because it is very dreamy until you “wake up” because of its abruptness.
9 – Voicething (9/10)
This song is very experimental and you may wonder why they decided to end this album with it. What I have to say is THANK YOU for doing it. I would like to say, that this is the best track on the album, but as for its experimentalism I don’t want to take it as a part of the album. I prefer to call it an extra-song and the ending of a very nice catchy 80’s inspired album. Alisons’ vocals are amazing on this and they remind us of what Björk did on “Medúlla”. This song is very dreamy and everytime I hear it I get into a peaceful trance. I recommend to listen to this song with the window open on a nice night with little wind – the mix is amazing!
Never heard of it.
ReplyDeleteHat Spaß gemacht, das zu lesen. Auch wenn ich wohl jedes Lied anders bewertet hätte als du (manche besser, manche schlechter), stimme ich mit dir, was das Album im Gesamten angeht, überein.
ReplyDeleteOK review, but I don't understand why are you talking about these songs like they are made for gay clubs.
ReplyDelete@Anonymous:
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion a lot of the songs are what represent all those 80's "gaysongs" ["I feel love" by Donna Summer f.ex.]. They just have the "feel" of the gay community. I'm not saying that this is a bad point. In this case it fits perfectly well :]
Bem, giro não digo que não seja, porque apenas o facto de ter algures no créditos Tim Burton o caso muda logo de figura :P
ReplyDeleteBeijinhos
Oh, I understand. I just never tag any music as "gay".
ReplyDeleteAnyway, your blog is great :)
@Anonymous:
ReplyDeletethank you :]