Thursday, July 22, 2010

Since I got robbed...


Since I got robbed on June 18th, I get shivers when I see young black men (similar to the ones on the picture). It's not that I am a racist, because I'm not. The problem is, that I'm just traumatised by that happening. Luckily they didn't even touch me. The only thing they did was to take my bag (with so many things inside (purse, keys, pullover, a pair of shoes from Vera, a jacket, my D&G perfume, sunglasses) and to run away. At least they were civilised enough to pass back my purse (most of the things were still inside) and my keys a day after that. They put them on a car and the lady who found the things called me, so that she could hand it over to me.
As I said, I am not a racist - I love different cultures and I think that it is extremely interesting to get to know them. It's amazing for me when my roommate Vera (native Angolan) talks with her family and I see so many things that we, Europeans do not do. They seem to be nicer to each other... very warm-hearted. It's just cute when she is saying all the time "yes, aunt." Normally when I talk to one of my aunts I don't use the word "aunt" a lot of times. To be serious I don't think i use it. She says it in almost every sentence.
But well... since that happening I really get scared when I have to walk through a place where I see a group of young black guys. A couple of days after that I was waiting for the train and two guys started to walk into my direction. You cannot imagine how scared I was. The only thing they wanted was fire for a cigarette, but even though it was me that ignited it, because I didn't want to hand out my lighter. It may sound paranoid, but I was in total shock, so I did it that way.
I hope that one day I will be able to walk around the city without holding all my stuff close to me and without being scared of being robbed again, because the feeling of being observed by someone that wants to do me harm, is very annoying. [And I was starting to get better on that point...]


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. A song that no one thinks I'd like




It's not that I love this song for its lyrics or for the melody, because the melody is very simple and the lyrics are very religious (and I guess that it's easy to see, that I am not a religious person), but this song makes me remember so many things from my childhood.
Once, I went to the baptism of a second cousin in Paris. It was on the day I had to leave to Germany again and since my sister was living there at the moment, I was very sad that day.
My cousin asked me to turn on the cd player, which was positioned next to the altar. The first song that was playing then was this song and as everyone was walking into the church (including my sister) the only thing I did was to cry, because I felt so far away from everyone and I knew that those were the last hours I was together with them. But well... I wasn't the only one... my sister and I cried during the whole ceremony :P
[yes yes... I cry sometimes (not as much as I did in the past. nowadays it's a rarity) but I am allowed, because I am a southerner. We are all p*ssies :P]

3 comments:

  1. Felizmente nunca fui assaltada!
    Mas compreendo o teu medo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. compreendo-te perfeitamente. e vês, não é racismo. há muitas razões para nos sentirmos incomodados perto de determinadas pessoas sem ser racismo =P
    por acaso tb já reparei que a vera diz sempre "sim tia, sim tia, sim tia"... tb já reparei que eles sao muito mais calorosos do que nós. quer dizer, mesmo assim nós portugueses já somos bem mais calorosos do que nativos da europa central (alemanha, áustria, etc) onde são meio frios mesmo =P eheh.
    espero que esse trauma te passe rápido, porque lisboa é uma das cidades mais seguras da europa. eu, rapariga, de vestido, com a minha mala, ando em lisboa à noite e nunca me aconteceu nada. tens de ver as condições em que foste assaltado. estavas num beco escondido, escuro, de madrugada... era uma situação mt particular e facilitadora... em situações "normais" é dificil assaltarem-te em lisboa, pelo menos não tanto como noutras cidades europeias, por isso, relax ;) beijinhos

    ReplyDelete

past thoughts...