When I was two years old my parents showed me a lot of portuguese music, including Fado (traditional melancholic portuguese music) and at the kindergarten I loved to sing Mariah Carey songs to the other kids. My destiny was determined:I WANT TO BE A STAR!
Lately I haven't done a lot of things to achieve this goal. I am working at a money-transfer company and life is getting more "serious". Concerts and demo recordings are at pause and I am trying to focus on my "growing-up process". But still what matters the most to me is music and I can't imagine my life inside of an office or doing "normal stuff".
As one of my biggest influences is Christina Aguilera, I am used to sing in a jazzy way, which was a big plus at the Big Band I was guest-singing in Germany. My biggest quality were the Xtina-ish-high-notes that even impressed the conductor at our concerts. [yes, i even started to do the "finger-clapping on the microphone" that she always does xD]
When I started to sing at the pop/rock band "Band In A Boxx", my Big Band conductor got very worried about my voice, saying that using my voice in a rock-stop could cause a lot of harm to my clear high-notes. To be honest... I guess what was causing harm was my passion towards cigarettes and party at that time... and I notice that when I'm not having vocal coaching lessons for a long-time period, I lose a lot of capacity and somehow my high notes just disappear.
So I started to sing at "Band In A Boxx" and our coach said to me that I totally have a rock-voice and that I should forget about singing jazz, because my voice doesn't fit into that category. Surely I didn't think that way, because I knew that jazz was my strength. My best moments ever were the piano+vocal songs I sang during concerts or at special occasions.
Anyway been doing Jazz, Pop and Rock in the beginning, what I really want to make professionaly is a mix out of everyone of those styles including a lot of electronical stuff... just try to imagine something in between of Marilyn Manson, Christina Aguilera, Lady GaGa and Depeche Mode. I guess that this is a possible definition for the songs I wrote and that I still have to record. [I already recorded a couple of songs, but they are more of an introduction to who I am and not about what I want to do musically.]
I know that I am not one of those OMG singers like Whitney Houston or Christina Aguilera and I heard people complaining about the way I sing, saying that I sing in a "strange way" and that I am not pop-ish enough. Either way, this is what I do and I won't give up because of some people that don't like my voice. [I mean... Celine Dion? Tina Turner? Amy Winehouse? Lady GaGa? Brian Molko? Marilyn Manson? Don't they all have "strange voices"???]
A lot of people like to hear me sing. Some even love it. Some cried during my performances and this is what matters. If eight out of ten people don't like me, there are still two worth to sing for. And this is what is important for me. This is the reason why I will never give up. I love to sing and I don't want to do anything else.
Ps: Marilyn Manson is getting old and lately he's been writing shiteous music. Now it is my time!
alex, was ich rauslese ist, das dein herz eigentlich beim jazz hängt. du kannst wählen: es KANN einen schnellen erfolg mit pop geben, den ich persönlich sehr vergänglich finde. die stars kommen und gehen und es gibt wirklich nur wenige, die bleiben und deren musik auch jahrzehnte überdauert. oder jazz: der ist ohne hingabe und leidenschaft, ohne wirkliche passion nicht zu bewerkstelligen und zieht auch nicht unbedingt die massen an. dort geht es in erster linie um qualität, nicht um quantität und ist bei weitem nicht so POPulär, - dennoch glaube ich, das diese musik weitaus befriedigender sein kann. aber um sich hier einen guten platz zu erkämpfen dauert es seine zeit. doch bist du gut, wirklich gut, dann wirst du das auch noch mit 80 jahren singen können, weil ich denke, das viele im alter immer noch besser werden, was ich von den pop-rock-sängern nicht unbedingt behaupten kann (mit wenigen, guten ausnahmen). also wähle, willst du den schnellen, lauten und kürzeren erfolg, dann ... auf der anderen seite bist du noch jung und musst dich jetzt noch nicht entscheiden. du musst einen fuss in die tür kriegen, aber lass dir immer beide optionen offen und arbeite für beides. dann wirst du unweigerlich auf den weg stossen, den du zu gehen bereit bist.
ReplyDeleteliebe grüsse
angelika (inkas mama)
oh my sweetest friend and my favorite phone concerts' singer ever =D
ReplyDeletein that awkward interview when they asked if i believed in you, i said it and i'll say 1000 times again, i dont just believe in you, i believe in you and i am SURE you'll be grand :)
is beyond dreams to follow our passions.
I definitely prefer your jazz side :D
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete