[wasn't I sweet? :P]
After a very stressful week looking for a new appartement in every day after work and with a 6-days of work, I went out with my working collegues Bego and Ana Lu yesterday. We went to Bego’s appartment to eat something and after that we went to the LGBT club Maria Lisboa [nice club, though I still prefer the Trumps... need to check out the Finalmente at the next time]. But why am I writing about yesterday [happening in 2010] when this post might be about the MIGHTY 1990’s? Because all off a sudden a friend from Bego went unto YouTube and played “(I’ve had) The Time Of My Life”, the song from the movie “Dirty Dancing”. [Oh my God! How I love this movie... and how love this final scene... :)]
So when I woke up today I watched a couple of movies including “Dirty Dancing” and I realized how much I love that 90’s kitsch and how amazing that era was. Yes... i could be talking about all the political things that happened in the 90’s... the German reunification. But well... I didn’t realize how big this was in that time. I was only one year old. What I remember from the 90’s is the music and the movies. That was what caused the biggest impact on me. I remember being a kid and playing with dolls with my neighbour Jasmin and we listened to songs from “Dirty Dancing” while playing the scenes from the movie. She knew all the words :D
But there were other movies, too. The 90’s for me... I don’t care talking about “Jurassic Park” nor about “Matrix”, because what I loved the most were love movies! “Titanic”, “Pretty Woman” and company... movies you watch nowadays and you just realize, that this is NOT REAL. In real life there is no Edward that changes the whole life of a prostitute. There are no prince and princess that fall in love on the street as in all those movies. There’s also no rich Rose that falls in love with a poor Jack. But there should be... and as it’s not, we watch those movies and dive into their lives. I feel so happy in every moment I watch those movies and I just want to be a part of it. It’s just so beautiful.
What about the music? When I was a kid I listened to a lot of Fado, because my parents showed it to me, but at the same time I had my godmother Eli and sister Carla that showed me EuroPop (La Bouche, Ace Of Base,...) and the really great pop singers like Céline Dion, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. [Oh yeah... how could I have forgotten about the movie “Bodyguard”... so beautiful!] In kindergarden I was standing in front of all the other children, singing “Without You” and “Hero”. [it's so sad if I think about what happened to Whitney Houston and how BAD Mariah Carey has become in all the years...]
Talking about kindergarden, I remember all those classical Disney movies, that you cannot compare to the ones children watch today. When I was a child the cartoons were different. They were actually made with pencils and not with a mouseclick. I always liked the villains better and so I dressed up as Cruella De Vil, using a pen as a cigarette and singing the song. [Come on! How couldn’t I be bisexual? :P]
We all know that the production of the music in the early 90’s wasn’t the best and I try to imagine how “The Power Of Love” in the version of Céline Dion might sound, if she had record it a couple of years later. It’s a great song, even though the productions isn’t the best, but that is really what makes us notice that it is a 90’s song.
I also remember sitting in front of the tv watching the musicvideo of “Black Hole Sun” or “Zombie” and I was fascinated, because it wasn’t close to what Mariah or Amalia Rodrigues did, but I also liked it a lot.
When I grew a little, I fell in love with the Spice Girls. They were my favourite band and the one I liked best was Geri “Ginger” Halliwell. She was so pretty and I loved her style. I must admit that when I was very young I already realized that that woman got a nice pair of boobs and that made me love her even more XD But I also liked their music... to be serious I don’t remember my favourite song anymore... and oh my God how much I loved German rap. The first CD I bought was “Klappe die 2te” by Tic Tac Toe. I knew all the lyrics and I couldn’t stop singing them. They were amazing. Maybe it was funny for me because they were using explicit language, but I don’t think that that was the reason I loved them so much.
To be honest I wasn’t really interested in boybands such as N’Sync or the Backstreet Boys. I always thought that female vocalists were much more interesting. Maybe this is the reason why today I use my voice in a more “feminine way” when I sing, doing some vocal acrobatics and going into higher ranges.
I could talk about my personal life in the 90’s, but this isn’t interesting for now, because what mattered the most and what I loved the most in that era, was the movies and the music.
THANKS GOD FOR THE 90's <3>
[i could have talked about soooooooo many things, but I just focused on what I remember in the first moment.]
No comments:
Post a Comment